Best way to use a Banjo in worship

Train Your Worship Teams Forums Folk Instruments Group Best way to use a Banjo in worship

Tagged: ,

This topic contains 5 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  Tim Stocker 6 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Tim Stocker

What do you think the best way to incorporate a banjo into worship is? I play banjo but haven’t had the opportunity to use it in worship yet. I feel like it could had a subtle bluegrass feel to a song but you obviously don’t want it overpowering other instruments. Just curious to see other peoples opinions.

todd.landis

no specific ideas here, other than to say go for it and see what works and sounds good. I have found the mandolin adds just a bit of seasoning to some songs, the banjo might have a very good effect as well.

dylan mckeeman
    Participant

Tim,
    Welcome to the group. I play banjo in worship every once in a while. Since I lead I only use it every so often. I have had the opportunity to play through whole sets at conferences when I’m not leading. I think of the banjo as a percussion instrument. I try and really lock in with the drummer when I create my right hand rolls (arpeggios). I almost never let loose in Scruggs style picking. I really try to stay subtle and in the rhythm pocket. Another great way to enhance certain parts of a song is to “pinch” chords in transitions between verses and choruses or the bridge of a song. You can also us the “pinch” method when a song gets quiet and sweet. You just really need to be on the beat. Being early or late can make you stand out like, well, a banjo in worship.

dylan mckeeman
    Participant

Tim,
    How’s it going with the banjo in worship? I played mine this past weekend on a song called “How Great” from the Glory Revealed II album. Here’s a link to a youtube clip of it. A great song for banjo in worship!!!

Anonymous

Looking for more songs with Banjo. We just used “King of Heaven ” by Paul Baloche this morning and it was great. Hoping to find a few more outlets to let my rhythm guitarist stretch his Banjo chops. Our congregation loved it!

dylan mckeeman
    Participant

Another great worship/banjo tune. “You Have Won Me” from Bethel Music: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1HuQC1pu0w8

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.